The Ashanti Regional Director of National Sports Authority, Mr Edmund Appiah, on behalf of Government (MOYS and NSA) commiserated with the Offinso Accident Victims (football team) in their homes and hospitals today, Sunday September 20, 2020.
The unfortunate incident occurred yesterday. He also gathered the following information:
1. The name of football team affected is
Africa Vision Soccer Academy, a Colts team from Offinso in the Offinso Municipal Assembly.
2. They went for vetting and registration of juvenile football players at Afrancho in readiness for reopening of football season. The exercise is sanctioned by GFA.
3. The accident occurred on their return to Offinso at the Offinso River bridge. Eight (8) players among the 33 victims have been confirmed dead as at today.
4. Six (6) of the victims are in critical conditions at Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital, Kumasi.
5. Four (4) victims are currently hospitalized at Offinso St. Patrick Catholic Hospital and are in stable condition.
6. Six (6) victims also at Namong SDA Hospital, near Offinso are in stable condition.
7. The victims who sustained minor injuries have been discharged from St. Patrick and Namong SDA Hospitals mentioned above.
8. The delegation again visited two (2) of the bereaved families at Offinso Maase to sympathize with them.
9. The families praised government for the swift intervention especially by the rapid efforts of Ambulance Services to move accident victims to hospitals, and the efforts of medics to attend to the patients. They made further passionate appeal to Government, GFA and the general public to come to the aid of the affected families.